Sunday 14 November 2010

Sunday 14th November 2010

School Reunions, are they a good thing or a bad thing???

I went to a school reunion last night, it was a twenty-five year reunion so I sort of guessed that a lot of people would have changed in the quarter century since we were at school.

It was held in the local football club clubhouse and was due to start at seven o'clock.
Well I didn't want to get there too early, so I went to the pub and watched a bit of the footy on the tele.
That was quite good as Liverpool got beat 2-0.

Anyway, at about eight I made my way to the football club and couldn't believe it when I walked in and saw only one person I recognised, and he had lost a hell of a lot of weight so I could have been mistaken had he not made a comment about my shoes being the same as my old school shoes.

I suppose they were in a way, except that my old school shoes were black and had laces on the sides whilst the ones I was wearing last night were blue with laces on the top (like most shoes do).

As the night went on and more and more people arrived it was interesting to see that some appeared to have aged well and some not so well. Some had aged pretty damn badly as it goes, but then some people can't be as lucky as others I suppose.
Some people were looking good and some not so.

I began to realise that, although I thought I recognised a lot of the people's faces I couldn't actually remember of any of their names.
Funnily enough, no one semed to recognise me either, which led to some very interesting chats, including one with a girl who 'reminded' me that we went to college on the same bus together 24 years ago. Strangely, I didn't remember this.

As the night went on and more and more alcohol was consumed, so more and more people seemed to remember who I was, but as I wasn't drinking my memory wasn't getting better as the evening went by.

It wasn't until the 'do' was nearly over that the first person I saw when I arrived, and the only person I really remembered, asked me why I hadn't gone to our own school reunion as he was only at this one, for the other school, because of his wife.............

No comments:

Post a Comment